When it comes to applying for a job, we know that it can be very nerve wrecking and time consuming. Wondering if you are a suitable candidate, doubting your abilities, questioning your qualifications. We feel the struggle!
Well here are some expert tips and tricks to make you more than ready to apply for your next job.
1. Research the Organization
Take the time to understand exactly what the company expects from applicants for jobs that interest you; do not ignore the detailed description of what the job entails.
This will help you answer questions — and stand out from less-prepared candidates.
- Visit the organization’s website to ensure that you understand what they do and how the function.
- Review the organization’s background and mission statement and modify your CV cover letter accordingly.
- Assess their products, services and client-base.
- Read recent press releases for insight on projected growth and stability.
- Read recent reviews of clients to see how they experienced the target company.
- Develop a question list. Prepare to ask about the organization or position based on your research.
2. Compare your skills and qualifications to the job requirements.
- Analyse the job description. Outline the knowledge, skills and abilities required to apply for the chosen job.
- Look side-by-side at the job description and your resume. Compare what the employer is seeking to your qualifications.
- Create an original cover letter. If the company asks for a cover letter, be sure to include one. Make sure to write one specific to your accomplishments and skills and one that addresses the job description properly. Go a step further and mention how you will use that knowledge and those skills on the job. Avoid sending out a generic, run-of-the-mill cover letter.
3. Prepare responses.
In an interview there will be questions asked based on your resume qualifications, behavioural questions as well as case/ scenario based questions.
It is your responsibility to come to the interview well prepared and ready for possible questions that will be asked. That way you will not only look professional, but also that you are serious about the application and landing the perfect job.
4. Plan what to bring.
- Extra copies of your resume and ID (Identification document) on quality paper.
- A notepad or professional binder and pen to take important notes.
- A list of references, if the employer requires it.
- Information you might need to complete an application.
- A portfolio with samples of your work, if relevant to the job application.
5. Pay attention to non-verbal communication.
- Be mindful. Nonverbal communication speaks volumes, and having the right body language is equally important as professionality.
- Behave from the start. Remember that waiting room behaviours may be noted.
- Project confidence. Smile, establish eye contact and use a firm handshake.
- Posture counts. Sit up straight yet comfortably. Be aware of nervous gestures such as foot-tapping.
- Be attentive. Don’t stare, but maintain good eye contact, while addressing all aspects of an interviewer’s questions.
- Respect their space. Do not place anything on their desk.
- Manage reactions. Facial expressions provide clues to your feelings. Manage how you react, and project a positive image.
6. Follow up.
Many interviews end with “Do you have any questions?”
- Bring a list. You may say, “In preparing for today’s meeting, I took some time to jot down a few questions. Please allow me to review my notes.”
- Be strategic. Cover information not discussed or clarify a previous topic — do not ask for information that can be found on the organization’s website.
Here are some examples of questions you may ask:
- In your opinion, what makes this organization a great place to work?
- What do you consider the most important criteria for success in this job?
- Tell me about the organization’s culture.
- How will my performance be evaluated?
- What are the opportunities for advancement?
- What are the next steps in the hiring process?
Hope these simple tips and tricks will help you to land the perfect future job!
Happy job hunting Dynamic Women